What do you think of when you hear the term self-care? Probably you are thinking about getting a massage or getting a manicure or pedicure. But let me tell you self-care is so much more than these external motivators.
It can be done all throughout your day, anytime and anywhere.
What Does Self-Care Mean To You?
Bottom line is self-care is the act of taking care of yourself. Simple as that. What are the things you need in your life to take care of yourself? Is it extra sleep, sitting down and really enjoying a meal, reading, exercising?
Self-care is all about doing exactly what you need to do to feel and be the best you that you can be. This includes mentally, physically, and emotionally. Each person has their own way to give themselves self-care. This can be anything from quitting your exhausting job to getting your hair done, or ensuring you have time to read first thing in the morning or each evening before bed. Or your self-care can even be to just make sure you get enough sleep each night.
Taking care of yourself is not something that should be overlooked. There are many benefits that result from a self-care routine. If you are not taking care of yourself eventually it can lead to overwhelming stress, lack of confidence, less productivity at work and even cause deteriorating relationships with family and friends.
What is it that you really need?
To really understand self-care, you need to understand what you need and who you are. Ask yourself these questions to gain some clarity.
- What are the things I need to do to feel complete?
- What activities help me relieve stress?
- Is there anything I can eliminate from my daily schedule that is preventing me from taking care of myself?
- Am I happy with my exercise routine and am I eating healthy?
Your answers to these questions determine your self-care needs.
So now that you understand and have defined your needs it is time to add it to your schedule and begin to reap the benefits of truly taking care of yourself.
Benefits of self-care
So now that we have identified activities you can do for self-care, let’s dive deeper and take a look at a few of the amazing benefits you’ll experience over time.
- Increased Positivity – Adding these activities to your schedule will give you something to look forward to. Your mind will be taken off the bad in your day and you will be looking forward to reading that book in total silence or taking a nice walk through the neighborhood breathing in the fresh air.
- Increased Self-Confidence – Your needs are now a top priority and that is a good thing. Self-confidence will naturally increase because you are simply doing the things that make you feel good. How awesome is that?
- Improved Immunity – Having a self-care routine allows your body the much-needed break from stress, anxiety, and emotional trauma which in turn increases your immune system. Stress and depression can overload your mind and body and it is so crucial to reduce as much as possible. Next time you are experiencing an overload of stress check-in with your body. How do you feel? My health was ultimately what became a turning point in my life and I knew I needed to take better care of myself.
- Better Relationships – The more your needs are met the better your relationships will be with other people. Have you ever noticed when you are extremely stressed you end up lashing out at those closest to you? But when you are feeling less stressed and better about yourself you are able to engage from a place of love and not stress. Also, when you are feeling down about yourself and don’t feel important chances are that’s what you are putting onto others.
- Higher Productivity – All the benefits that have been stated above help with increased productivity both at work and at home. Less stress means higher immunity, and higher self-confidence, which all help to boost your daily productivity.
I personally take a few moments for self-care a few times a day. Without this practice, I find I am extremely stressed and take it out on those around me.
It is important to remember that self-care is all about you as an individual. So, what you need to do to take care of yourself won’t be the same as your spouse, friends, and family. After this routine is put in place you will notice a significant change in your health and overall well-being.
So tell me, what are some of your favorite ways to take care of yourself throughout your day?
How Many Hours of Sleep Do Your Really Need?
Why You Should Wake Up Before Your Kids
Leave a Reply